Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Usul-e-Deen/Furu-e-Deen Bingo

Salam Alaykum,

One of the most important parts of the religion is the tree of our faith. Just like a tree needs strong roots to grow, we also need to make sure our foundation is strong to help us grow as Muslims.

The 3rd graders were having a hard time remembering the names/meanings of the Usul-e-Deen and Furu-e-Deen, so we decided to play Bingo.

I found this great website where you can generate your own Bingo cards. I made Bingo cards that were 4 words by 3 words (since there are only 15 branches, 4x4 wouldn't work). I printed these out on cardstock and gave one to each student. I then gave each students some candies. M&Ms and Skittles work great for this kind of game.

The rules are the same as Bingo, with a slight difference. Instead of calling out the root/branch, I would say the definition. For example, if I pulled out the word "Salah," I would say, "This is the branch that means praying 5 times a day." Or, if I pulled out "Tawheed," I would say, "This is the root that means believing in one God." If they had the corresponding word on their card, they would cover it with a candy. Once they got 3 in a row, they had to shout out "Allahu Akbar!"

This game is great because it's a fun way to help them remember the meanings of the roots and branches. The 3rd graders loved this fun (and delicious) review game!

No comments:

Post a Comment